From: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia."
To:"Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia."
Sent:Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:26:09 +1000
Subject:Re: [Aus-soaring] Self Rig

 At 11:04 AM 18/07/2011, you wrote:
Yes, as one who often crewed for Bruce Tuncks at that time I can
affirm that his system of extending the rails to the outside of the
trailer worked very well.  He did it with the fuselage dolly tracks
also.  As I recall it was still a two-person rig, but the basic idea
was dead simple, cheap and is easily transferable to other types of
trailer.

 On most Cobra style trailers the wing dollies are made such that the
spars sit slightly below the edge of the trailer sides.  However the
dollies don't have sides, so the wing is free to rotate on the pin.
He seems to have simply raised the dollies a bit (or perhaps just put
more carpet on) so that the spar is above the line of the trailer
sides.  This allows him to rotate the wing through 90 deg while it is
still inside the trailer.  Then he just lifts the spar off and
rotates while carrying it to the fuselage.  Very impressive.

 Cheers

TIM

_tra dire e fare c'è mezzo il mare_
 If you make the pin removable you don't even need to lift the wing
root straight up. Also putting the roller on a small stand lets you
put the wing on it at the C of G of the wing. Then you don't even lift
the weight of the wing root. Slightly more complicated but when you
see the way that bloke throws the glider bits around, he's a big
strong boy and his method may not suit everyone. I've done this
without the roller  on the stand. Just reasonably slippery carpet.

 Mike
BORGELT INSTRUMENTS - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
since 1978
 phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
 fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
 cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784