At 10:50 PM 5/09/2011, you wrote:
Instrument and ease of use/accuracy:

When I spoke to the Sales Manager at the DG Factory about the instruments we were fitting to our DG1000S 4-5 years ago, he expressed his opinion that the the 57mm items were not as accurate or as easy to maintain as the equivalent 80mm version made by the same instrument factory. (Miniaturization in mechanical devices is not as easy/reliable as it may be in electrical circuitry)

I wasn't in a position to change our order and sure enough, when our two brand new 57mm Altimeters turned up, one of them was about 10hP (300ft) out on the subscale. It was fixed up under warranty but one has to ask the question; was it more susceptible to damage/loss of calibration during transit where-as perhaps the larger version may have travelled better?

Of greater concern though, when the chips are down, the bigger instrument might just be that little bit quicker to locate, read and its vital information that much easier to process safely. Not important with the altimeter but perhaps a life saver when it comes to the ASI. This is particularly so with a club ACFT due to the higher utilisation by low time pilots where the club should be providing the safest option...particularly where this is also the cheaper option.

Kind regards,
Daryl Mackay

If you are having trouble seeing and interpreting the small Winter ASI I suggest you get your eyes checked.

The old PZL ASI for gliders apeeared to be a helicopter ASI. It was a truly great and well built instrument.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com