The 182 P (1971) appears to have the same Continental O-470 as earlier models back to 1965 and the even earlier ones had a different designation O-470 but still 230HP.

Only difference appears to be a higher gross weight (2950lbs on the P which is the same weight as as the 1969 N model) and as you wouldn't be towing at gross (I hope) why is this any different fom any other Continental engined 182? I'm sure I've had tows behind 182s in Australia. Most of the Cessna versions were just the marketing department's spin on the same old, same old. Not that the 182 is in any way a bad aircraft. Surely it would be acceptable to reduce the gross weight for towing to that of the earlier models that have been used for towing? The 182 has plenty of payload so even if used for tow pilot training you could carry the people and plenty of fuel.

Besides, from talking to GA pilots few seem to know or care what the empty weight of their aircraft is or the payload they can carry and still be at or below gross. I learned this when phoning people about aircraft they had for sale.

Mike

At 12:32 PM 24/10/2011, you wrote:

Mike
Yep, different model. I'm hoping to strike lucky and get performance figures for the 182P.
I haven't been able to get much info from club members about that Cessna.
I'm also learning a lot about the paperwork process.
Thanks to those who have so far responded, I'm getting some really useful info, keep it coming.
Pam

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net [mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike Borgelt
Sent: Monday, 24 October 2011 12:14 PM
To: p...@kurstjens.com; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Cessna 182P tug

Pam,

Didn't DDSC used to operate a C182?

Mike

At 10:46 AM 24/10/2011, you wrote:

Hi Cathy
Thank you, I'll chase him up.
Pam

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net [ mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Catherine Conway
Sent: Monday, 24 October 2011 10:30 AM
To: <p...@kurstjens.com>; AUS Soaring

Tim Laider's 182 had a hook and he towed with it. I think it was done on an STC.

Tims details can be found here

<http://www.riverlandflighttraining.bounce.com.au/about-the-cfi/4540511304>http://www.riverlandflighttraining.bounce.com.au/about-the-cfi/4540511304

Cath

Sent from my iPhone

On 24/10/2011, at 8:49 AM, "Pam Kurstjens" <<mailto:p...@kurstjens.com>p...@kurstjens.com> wrote: We plan to use a Cessna 182P for towing. Does anyone out there have a Cessna 182P already towing and if so, could they help us with info on approvals, P-charts and flight manual supplements? If we can obtain figures already issued by CASA or an engineering firm it will save us time and money. P-charts for a Cessna 182 of lower engine performance would also be helpful, as we could say the performance will be at least as good. CASA used to issue these approvals, P-charts and supplements, but these days the work is done by private firms. I have been in touch with AutoAvia of Bankstown and their advice is to see what info we can find from similar A/C already towing.
Many thanks
Pam Kurstjens

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com