I know that the 2015 rules for Silver Distance are not clear on first
reading - the new rule is intended to get the pilot to fly at least 50km
from home.

The two extracts below from the Sporting Code Committee should help to
clarify the situation.

Your club may have to change their Silver Distance "Milk Run" if it doesn't
fit the new rule.

Pam

"New" 50km flight can be finished either by landing or by a finish fix. That
means any fix which satisfies 50km distance with allowed loss of height is
sufficient to claim Silver 50.

Any declared waypoints are irrelevant. This means you can flight another
declared task and still claim Silver 50 from it, just by registering a fix
50km from release. Then you can continue with declared task.

Practically flying a 100km O/R should in most cases be enligible for Silver
50, however one has to remember that a) distance/height measurement starts
on release, not declared start point, b) declared turn point is irrelevant,
there must be fix registered 50km from release.

I hope that clarifies your doubts.

Best Regards,

Wojciech Scigala

SC3 Committee member

I make two points which weren't answered. One: the version of the sporting
code section 3 (SC3) to be used now is the 2015 version available on the FAI
website.There are many changes from the 2014 version so please do not try
and use the 2014 version any more.

Two: the definition of straight distance is in para 1.4.2d of the 2015
version.

Regards,

Ross Macintyre