From: AusNOG <ausnog-boun...@lists.ausnog.net> on behalf of Jacob Taylor
<j...@taylornetworks.com.au>
Date: Tuesday, 17 April 2018 at 9:50 am
To: Tristan Gulyas <evilzar...@gmail.com>
Cc: AUSNOG <ausnog@lists.ausnog.net>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Opportunities in Australia to work on Event networks
(Volunteer)

Hi all,

As a 24 year old network engineer, I'm often asked by others at uni how I
"broke in" to the networking space.

I've also seen this question posed in various permutation on this very list so
I thought I would share my some advice for other young people anxious to jump
into this space.

Obviously, this is highly subjective and anecdotal - YMMV.

Before anything else, I recommend not pidgeonholing yourself into networking. I
recommend learning SysOps skills and programming, automation technologies and
so forth. When I started at my current organisation I began in the
Windows/Linux team. This experience is increasingly critical in the new world
order of open networking, SDN and all that ilk. In my environment, we have
started rolling out white-box switching based on Cumulus Linux and
configuration management/orchestration by Ansible.

Having a CCNA (or NP, JNCIA etc. etc.) is all well and good, but remember every
other candidate for a role will likely have one. Me? I have only a JNCIA and an
expired CCENT. Having been interviewed personally and also having interviewed
others for a senior role (with CCIEs no less), I can most definitely say being
able to talk passionately about the actual technologies you are
using/supporting & give examples beats any level of certification. It
demonstrates higher-level conceptual understanding, which itself is a
requirement for effective troubleshooting.

Probably a more specific extension of the first point, but I've found it pays
to be familiar with the workings of application protocols. Understand the
structure of HTTP requests and responses, TLS handshakes, SIP transactions. I
recommend whipping out Wireshark or tcpdump and viewing the packets as they go
on to the wire - this skill has been invaluable in demonstrating that other
teams/3rd parties were actually at fault after they so happily pointed the
finger at the network. It is also helpful when configuring/supporting/debugging
load balancers, which are increasingly being pushed into the support scope of
networks (at least in my experience).

So yeah, that's my 5 cents on the issue.

Cheers,
Jake

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Tristan Gulyas