A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1185
Reported By:                dannyniu
Assigned To:
Project:                    1003.1(2016)/Issue7+TC2
Issue ID:                   1185
Category:                   Shell and Utilities
Type:                       Enhancement Request
Severity:                   Editorial
Date Submitted:             2018-02-02 04:13 UTC
Last Modified:              2018-02-14 04:53 UTC

 (0003922) shware_systems (reporter) - 2018-02-14 04:53
 http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1185#c3922
I think I'm with kre on this, that it looks more invention than valid. The
description doesn't make any mention of changing a viewport or terminal
window's size. It just relates to how many line's are accessed per screen
refresh, to override other reported values, and if someone specifies a
value larger than tcgetsize() some display scrolls off the top with each b
or f command and a user would need to use a k command to see those extra
lines, or a scroll-bar/up arrows on a viewport. That's how I think most
would read that, at least, as something all terminals can support.

Relating it to how many lines of piped input get buffered for use with the
k command, where b can't be supported, looks like an omission. Its usual
usage would be more if you have a 43 line screen you may say -n 40 to keep
the line count per screen as multiples of 10 until the last 'page', to ease
lines per file counting, similar to the usage caveat for the LINES variable
in XBD 8.3.

This is not to say such autosizing couldn't be useful, but I'd expect a
separate switch used in conjunction with -n to enable that behavior, as
something applicable only to terminal types capable of supporting it such
as a GUI viewport. Whether the display gets restored upon exit or not to
the size it was when the utility started would also be something to be
specified with a switch like this.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/more.html