Robert Elz <> wrote:
 |    Date:        Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:37:52 +0000
 |    From:        Andrew Josey <>
 || We usually say if we have one to continue next time.
 |OK, I could see that things generally proceed approximately
 |sequentially, but there have to be exceptions ... like the minutes
 |often say "we will return to this in a future call" (and some issues
 |look to have been in that state for a very long time) - it would be
 |nice to have some advance warning when that future call has
 |suddenly arrived (and sequencing will not help there.)
 |eg: there's bug 0000249 ($'...' in the shell). and 0000953 (aliases,
 |(for 249 I don't even understand what the real issue is - that is not
 |the original report, but the "reopened")

If i recall correctly there is a real issue with the standard text
and the \c escape, which does not correspond to what existing
implementations do (see note 0003256).

And then please read 0002893 and 0002923.  The standard text as it
is now (iirc) does not work properly for, or at least does not
talk about decomposed Unicode characters, and the problem was and
is that Unicode does not offer precomposed characters for all
languages, but some are composed of multiple adjacent codepoints.

  St├ęphane has given the example of his name on the mailing list
  several times: $'St\u65\u301phane'. This is representable in
  LATIN1, correct conversion provided. What else should be correct
  in LATIN1? "Ste?phane" can't be it, i'd say.

In order to have iconv(3) realize what is going on, it needs to be
fed with the $'' construct in its entirety.
I.e., whereas the current standard is more like RFC 2047 and acts
on atoms, it should act like RFC 2231 and join it all together and
then iconv(3) it in its entirety.

It simply must be understood that for multiple languages looking
at codepoints is not sufficient, even for things like tolower and
toupper, but that there is context necessary for the algorithms to
decide what to do.

I am not saying the software i maintain does this correctly