Date:        Wed, 11 Apr 2018 14:14:18 +0200
    From:        Joerg Schilling <joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de>

  | Then we should change the wording.

I agree.

  | The characters '.', '*' and '[' really lose their special meaning inside a
  | character class.

Yes.

  | The '\\' on the other side always allowed to escape the meaning of '-' and
the
  | meaning of any other char, see the original code fragment from 1977:

In sh glob expressions, yes, but not in classes in RE's.   One of the issues is
that the standard is trying too hard for consistency, and so rather than
re-specify char classes for glob, it simply defers to char classes in REs,
and because of that, gets all of this wrong.

  | All modern implementations I am aware of do something similar with explicit
'\\'
  | chars in the string.

Yes, I know - the question isn't what implementations do, or even should do,
but what the standard says they should do.  And how that is incorrect.

  | So the reason for the deviating behavior of ksh93 may be that it tries to
  | follow 9.3.5 that does not seem to be alighed with the Bourne Shell and
ksh88.

That very well may be.

kre