Joerg Schilling <joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote, on 26 Apr 2018:

> > > . and .. are artefacts of an implementation detail from the 1970s
> > > and only present because this did save code space. A conforming
> > > filesystem may
> > > not have them at all. I would be happy if this artefact was made history.
> > > The problem: what do you gain if at least one shell and one filesystem
> > > still
> > > includes them?
> >
> > I don't gain much. But at least POSIX wouldn't be preventing
> > shells to do the *right* thing. Currently, shells are reluctant
> > to fix their shell because that would break POSIX compliance.
> >
> > IIRC, last time that was discussed, Geoff was not opposed to
> > making that change.
>
> Since I believe I was the first who implemented a filesystem without . and ..
> (my COW filesystem WOFS from 1990/1991), I would be happy if that was allowed.

If . and .. don't exist in the file system, then POSIX *requires* that
the expansion of .* does not include them.  What we're discussing here
is allowing the expansion of .* not to include them when they do exist.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England