2010-06-18 14:52:25 +0100, Geoff Clare:
> >  (0000430) wpollock (reporter) - 2010-06-17 19:08
> >  http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=262#c430
> > The proposed change:
> > -e script_frag Add the text specified by the script_frag option-argument,
> > along with a newline, to the end of the script of editing commands.
> >
> > Doesn't really state what I think is desired, which according to the
> > (proposed) rationale is that newlines are separators and not terminators.
> > That is, with a single -e option no newlines are added to the script (and
> > thus "sed [-n] -e script [file...]" behaves the same as "sed [-n] script
> > [file...]".  Also note that currently, "sed [-n] -e script script
> > [file...]" is not allowed, so the phrase "add to the script" is
> > misleading.
> >
> > Perhaps a better wording would be this:
> >
> > -e script The script option-argument shall have the same properties as the
> > script operand, described in the OPERANDS section.  If multiple instances
> > of this option and argument are used, the script arguments are concatenated
> > together with a newline separator between each fragment.
>
> I agree that the original wording has a problem with the added
> newlines, but this alternative doesn't work either.  It doesn't
> account for a -e being followed by a -f.
>
> I suggest changing:
>
>     -e  script
>       Add the editing commands specified by the script
[...]

(replying to a very old email as context for the recent
discussion).

Geoff, it looks like your change  from the initially requested
"Add the text specified by the script_frag" to "Add the editing
commands specified by the script" was not intended as that was
not part of the point you were making.

IMO, that bug should be revisited to either
- address the intent of the initial request where the script
  being run is the concatenation of the fragments passed to -e
  and -f with newlines.

- or a variant thereof that covers historical implementations,
  that is same as above except that a fragment can't end in a
  backslash.

  Even sed -e '=;#\' -e q doesn't work (doesn't run the =
  command!) in traditional sed implementation.

--
Stephane