Joerg Schilling <joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote, on 14 Sep 2018:

> From the Solaris man page:
>
>       -mount           Always true. Restricts the search to the  file  system
>                         containing  the  directory  specified.  Does  not list
>                         mount points to other file systems.
>
>        -xdev            Same as the -mount primary.
>
>       FTW_MOUNT    If set, nftw() reports only files in the same file  system
>                     as  path.  If  clear, nftw() reports all files encountered
>                     during the walk.
[...]
> > Consistency between find and pax should be a consideration, so it would
> > be good to find out what the various pax implementations do here.
> > I tried Solaris, HP-UX, macOS and Debian stretch (the "pax" package)
> > and they all wrote the mount point to the archive.
>
> I believe we rather need a new flag for nftw() that includes a mount point
> and
> a new primary for find(1) that includes the mount point. I believe that the
> current POSIX text is a bug since I expect that it's intend was to be
> compatible to the SVr4 find(1) behavior that is aligned with and based on
> nftw().

Perhaps an acceptable solution would be:

Add -mount to find with behaviour matching nftw() FTW_MOUNT.

Add FTW_XDEV to nftw() with behaviour matching find -xdev and pax -X.

Make it clear that find -xdev acts on the mount points and -mount does not.

(No need to add anything to pax since you can use find ... -mount | pax
if you want the mount points excluded.)

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England