On 15/03/2020 08:36, Robert Elz wrote:
I'd love to hear from anyone who has (or can even imagine, regardless of
whether it is currently implemented anywhere) a better solution for this
issue.   Or if for some reason I am not understanding this isn't even a
potential (certainly it is extremely unlikely) problem, then why.

This is a real problem. The Linux kernel has made changes in 5.4 to make PID reuse far less likely, because all sorts of code was not prepared to handle that possibility correctly, not just shells. Of course it does not and cannot guarantee that PIDs do not get reused at all.

The one way I can see that would fix this is to mandate limited support for job ID notation even when job control is disabled, and for scripts to use that instead of tracking PIDs.

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk