Date:        Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:09:38 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        shwaresyst <shwares...@aol.com>

  | If it wasn't in single quotes, then that might be plausible,

As has been said elsewhere, that's nonsense.  The quotes are just
making clear what (exactly) is seen by sed.

  | but I don't see it as the intent since no other aliases are excluded
  | as possibilities for after the '/'. The initial "\n" makes 'n'
  | the delimiter, the 2nd overrides it as being the BRE terminator,
  | and the following 'n' is the terminator,

Yes, that is exactly what the BSD implementation does, and the GNU one
does not.

So, as Harald said, you have it backwards, your interpretation (with which
I agree, probably unsurprisingly) matches the BSD interpretation (the
expression deletes lines containing an 'n' character) and not the GNU one
(where it doesn't).

kre