yes, it is being worked on but not as a high priority, so Option 2 appears to
be a no go. It may be better to revisit the bug and add a test for its
availability to sysconf()/getconf as a formal option, in a Coming Attractions
sense, so code can be written portably now based on using Option 1 or existing
practice.