Bruno Haible wrote, on 23 Jun 2022:

> https://posix.rhansen.org/p/gettext_draft
> Line 1031
>
> "C-language escape sequences in message strings shall be processed as
> specified for character string literals in the ISO C standard ..."
>
> Issue: The way this is written, it is not possible to write, in a dot-po file:
> msgid "Program terminated.\n"
>
> Suggestion:
> This sentence should be extended to hold for *all* string literals in a
> dot-po file. So that C escape sequences can be used in particular
> in message_identifier (line 901) and untranslated_string_plural (line 902).
>
> Both GNU msgfmt and Solaris msgfmt do it like this.

In today's teleconference we struck out the word "message", so that it
reads: "C-language escape sequences in strings shall be processed ..."

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • POSIX msgfmt and escape ... Bruno Haible via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: POSIX msgfmt an... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group