On Thu, 2022-09-08 at 15:53 +0000, Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-
group-l at The Open Group wrote:
>  (0005962) geoffclare (manager) - 2022-09-08 15:53
>  https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=514#c5962
> -
> On D2.1 page 2947 line 98895, after applying bug 1520,
> change:<blockquote>The $^ macro shall evaluate to the list of
> prerequisites for the current target.</blockquote>to:<blockquote>The
> $^ macro shall evaluate to the list of prerequisites for the current
> target, with any duplicates (except the first) removed.</blockquote>
> On D2.1 page 2947 after line 98895 add:<blockquote>$+<blockquote>The
> $+ macro shall be equivalent to $^, except that duplicates shall not
> be removed; all prerequisites shall appear in the order they were
> listed in the makefile</blockquote></blockquote>

This was closed before I had a chance to comment on the wording but a
few things:

First, this text doesn't mention the .WAIT prerequisites that were
added as optional features; do we need to add text for how these are
included (or not) in $^?  Or, are they just included like any other
prerequisite?

Or did .WAIT not get included?  I can't remember.  This was the subject
of https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1520 which itself doesn't
mention the removal of duplicate entries, as the above text does.

Second, the wording of the $^ implies that when duplicates are seen the
it's always the first instance which is preserved and subsequent
instances are omitted, which means order is preserved.  Is that
requirement intentional?

I think I'm confused :).

  • [1003.1(2008... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Lawrence Velázquez via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group