--- Akim Demaille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Let's raise this question again, I'm really puzzled, and I'd like to
> be explained what is going on.

-8<-
> I would like to understand why there are three `rm' while one seems
> way enough.  It seems like the author took a special care to remove
> the conftest files before the user can touch them.
>
> So why do we want to forbid the access to the conftest files?

Good question!!  It's bugged me for a while also.  I've often commented out the
rm just so that I could see what was being compiled that failed and tried it
outside of the configure script just so that I could see the output of gcc.

My vote would be to remove conftest at the front of the script, if that's even
necessary, and leave it for the user to look at when script exists.  Then let
`make clean' handle the removal of conftest.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__