--- Alexandre Oliva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yup.  I've found many packages whose config.guess would guess
> alphaev6-unknown-linux-gnu, but whose config.sub wouldn't accept
> alphaev6, so I had to manually `configure alpha-unknown-linux-gnu'.
> Of course, in these cases, it is the package that's broken, for
> shipping incompatible versions of config.guess and config.sub, but I
> wouldn't want configure to think it's cross compiling just because
> I've specified the host system name.

Since you brought up this point, I've often wondered why configure isn't
constructed such that it uses the config.[guess|sub] which has the most recent
version.  Such that if I have a config.[guess|sub] in a upperlevel directory
that configure look there first for config.[guess|sub] and determine if it is a
more recent version that what is packaged with the source.

Just venting, comments are welcome,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>