--- "Lars J. Aas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 07:04:55AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> : --- "Thomas E. Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : > On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Lars J. Aas wrote:
> : > > The following patch made the configure script work, but one should
> : > > probably find out how the ^M characters were introduced and fix it on
> : > > that side...
> :
> : Hmm...  The effects of such a patch are welcome.
>
> A patch for the fix I outlined, or the patch I sent with the first mail?

Assuming that your patch trims \r from the end of the line read from
configure.in, the patch in the first mail.  However, see the comments below.

> : Now, with the 1.1 release of Cygwin, the setup program changed the default
> : mount from text mode to binary mode.  So if you had text mode mounts before
> and
> : installed the new version of Cygwin you were bit by the \r bug.  This has
> led
> : to utilities being modified to handle the extranious \r when read in binary
> : mode.
>
> It's cygwin 1.1.0 that's being used.

So, I can assume that your intern was using version b20.1 before that and was
setup to use text mode processing.  Install the new version of cygwin 1.1.0
switched the mount points to binary mode processing causing the problem with \r
line endings.  The real solution would be to force the mounts back to text mode
like so:

bash$ mount -f -t d:/cygwin /
bash$ mount -f -t d:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
bash$ mount -f -t d:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib

where d:/cygwin is the installed drive and path.

> : > Mounting?  There's more to cygwin than I though...  We've just been
> : > building from C:/source to C:/build on NT...
> :
> : Lars, you need to join the Cygwin mailing list and look at the
> documentation
> : both of which you can find at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/.  I
> can't
> : believe your developing with Cygwin without understanding it.
>
> I'm not developing with Cygwin - I was just asked to help with problems
> with our configure script by our summer intern that tries to get the
> project up and running on Cygwin.  I'll tell him to join the list...

It would be a must, have the intern also take a look at my cygwin page in my
sig.

Regards,

=====
---