--- Akim Demaille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> | > IOW, what's the point of being able to change prefix at make time?
> | > Why not just at configure?
> | >

> | How about the scenario of:
> |
> | configure --prefix=/usr
> | make all
> | make install prefix=/usr/stow/mypackage.mj.mn.p
> | cd /usr/stow
> | stow mypackage.mj.mn.p
>
> I didn't know stow would rely on this.  But still, it seems dangerous
> to me: why don't you ./configure --prefix=/usr/stow/mypackage.mj.mn.p
> in order to be sure that the hard coded paths are right?

No.  The hard coded paths need to reflect the configured prefix which reflects
where stow will symlink the files.  The stow documentation warns of badly
configured Makefiles that will rebuild when specifying `make install
prefix=/foo'; but as the standards documentation you quoted stated that isn't
supposed to happen.

> | configure                  (prefix=/usr/local)
> | make prefix=/usr           (user Foo always does it this way)
> | make install
> |
> | I may want to test an installation and want to build with a different
> prefix
> | than what it was configured with.
>
> But again, I know the goal.  I just say that it is difficult to make
> it right, so you cannot expect the package to behave correctly.
>
> The reason why you can't depend upon this is that somewhere, IMHO, it
> is just wrong to expect make prefix=/foo to work properly.  Specifying
> prefix etc. is a job for configure, not make.

I understand your point but you must be flexable on this.  I do expect that the
prefix is changeable at the time of make.  My guess is that others do also.

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>