On 2007-11-21, Karl Berry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Since there is no reason to prefer [, it is good to keep using test,
> because of the quoting, and for consistency with all the existing code
> that does so.

Using `[' is better in a particular case in makefiles - there the
Solaris VPATH rewriting feature can mangle commands containing `test'
in rules where `test' is one of the dependencies it rewrites.

I've actually been bitten by this issue, and it took a while to twig
what was going on as I'd not encountered this feature before.

Cheers,
    Olly