On 12/13/2012 11:22 PM, Eduardo Costa wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> I actually sent a "solution" much like yours Nick. Don't know
> why Stefano didn't send my answer.

You mean this part?

  This might be done by usual means (couldn't do it) or just with some
  trickery to to inject the string manually at the end of some section
  (say HELP_CANON or other), and giving the output of the command on a
  new line, so it doesn't get inside the `cat << LABEL ... LABEL'
  constructs that seem to be used to output options and help messages.

But I did send it ...

> This is what I came up with:
>
> AC_DEFUN([TRICK],
> [m4_divert_text([HELP_CANON], [_ACEOF
> echo -en "\n* --option=VAL            Date: `date`"
> cat <<\_ACEOF])])
>
> TRICK
>
> You can see automake's archives for my whole message.

Here's the link BTW:

  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2012-12/msg00022.html>

And looking at my forward to the Autoconf list:

  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2012-12/msg00018.html>

you can see I quoted your original message in its entirety.  Am I
missing something else here?

Regards,
  Stefano