On 01/07/2013 04:04 AM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> FYI
>
> Recent automake-1.13 release has been keeping me busy as I try to fix
> the majority (it feels) of FOSS projects upon which it fails, due to
> AM_CONFIG_HEADER having been removed.

That had actually been my fault, since I mistakenly didn't follow the
proper deprecation path for the removal: I jumped directly from
deprecation in the manual to abrupt removal, instead of following the
(doc warning) -> (runtime warnings) -> (fatal error) -> (removal)
safe path.

If I had been more careful, projects would have been warned beforehand
with non-fatal warnings, and would have add all the time to update
their configure.ac before the warning became fatal.

> So in the hope that projects would be better prepared for future
> autotool releases, a quick note about autoupdate:
> http://cazfi.livejournal.com/195108.html

Actually, Automake is not using AU_DEFUN for the macros (or macro
usages) currently deprecated; it's merely printing warnings in the
category "obsolete".  Since warnings in this category are enabled
be default (in automake since the 1.12.4 release, while in autoconf
they should be since the future release 2.70), the best way to
upgrade your 'configure.ac' and/or 'Makefile.am' is to pay attention
to the warning messages (they should give enough of a hint about how
to modernize your usage, or at least give pointers to documentation
explaining how to do so).

Best regards,
  Stefano