On 01/10/2013 03:00 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Given in the discussion that examples were provided where selecting
> the latest version was not always a desirable behaviour,

Sorry, I don't recall the examples.

Is it likely that that some packages won't want -std=gnu++11,
but other packages will?  And perhaps if they use gnulib, it could
be that some directories will want to be compiled with -std=gnu++11
and other directories won't?

> is providing the macros for specific standards versions still needed?

I'm hoping the answer is "no" but I may be wrong.

>  And with
> respect to feature test macros, do we need to provide macros for
> every single language feature, or could we have a core set performed
> as part of the mode selection which could correspond to the base
> functionality in GCC

Most likely you'd want both, no?  That's what we do on the C side,
anyway: AC_PROG_CC_STDC tries to get a "reasonable" set of features,
and feature-test macros are available for each feature of interest.