I gave it another try with –Wno-portability and yes, I agree this is the
better solution. I tried it before but it did not work. I think it might
have been one of these nightly misspellings that gave me a hard time.
I removed the AC_SUBST hack and added the flag as both of you suggested
earlier and I will make a note in the README that non-GNU make users can
replace the $(shell…) entry with either the hard coded value or just leave
it blank. IMHO this too is not the nicest but for now a middle ground that
is acceptable I also will add a comment into the Makefile.am to provide a
possible solution - for people who don't read the README. Eventually I have
to come up with a differernt more automated solution because I hate having
to manually edit make files before I can compile.

Thanks again,
Oliver