Hi,

I'm having a strange issue with Autoconf which involves a few built-in
functions.  They are not being found.  Basically, if I run autoconf on my
configure.in it complains about that as_fn_set_status and as_fn_exit are not
being defined.  Looking in the generated configure script, indeed these are
used at the top but defined at the bottom.  They are used very early in the
script, apparently by the call to AC_INIT.  So my (very hacky) solution is
simply inserting these two functions at the top of the script, and then the
script runs fine.  Now, on the other hand, I have another configure.in
script that seems to work fine with the same Autoconf version, so I am a bit
confused.

It was also somewhat confusing that copying these methods and putting them
at the top of my configure.in script did not seem to do anything as they are
apparently ignored and defined in the same place in the output regardless.

So, I guess my questions are:

What are the possible causes of this misordering?

Is it my fault or Autoconf's?

What is the best way to make sure this doesn't happen?

My Autoconf is 2.69 with m4 1.4.16 and automake 1.12.6, which I think are
all the most current versions.

Thanks.

--Jeremy