I'm having trouble configuring a few Autotool projects on Fedora
x86_64. Fedora uses /usr/local/lib64 for third party and vendor
libraries.

GnuTLS requires this sed (from Fedora's patches to gnutls.spec;
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/gnutls.git/tree/gnutls.spec;
thanks NM):

   sed -i -e 's|sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec="/lib
/usr/lib|sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec="/lib /usr/lib %{_libdir}|g'
configure

At this point, I believe the hard coded
"sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec=/lib /usr/lib" is not correct for Fedora
x86_64, but I don't know what is correct.

My first question is, should sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec should even be
present? That is, shouldn't the system's config.site or --libdir deal
with it? Can I delete the line that hard codes
sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec all together?

My first second is, if its OK to fiddle with
sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec, then what should the string be? Is /lib
/usr/lib %{libdir}" correct? Or should it be something else?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff