On Mar 19, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Eric Blake <ebl...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/18/2018 10:39 AM, R. Diez wrote:
>> I realise that this decision goes against Autoconf's portability principle.
>> But even as a humble user, I am entitled to some freedom of choice. 8-)
>
> Not any easy way that I know of, precisely because it goes against autoconf's
> portability.

I saw in the recent Automake release notes that there’s a tentative plan that
Autoconf 2.0 will require at least a POSIX shell.

Herr Diez, is this close enough to “Bash” to suit your purposes? That is, are
you just looking for things like $() instead of ``, or are you intending to
commit outright bash-isms?