On 06/07/2018 12:45 AM, mallapadi niranjan wrote:
Greetings,

i am newbie trying to learn autoconf, I would like to autoconf to have
build scripts created to compile assembly language programs written using
GNU Assembler:

This is probably more a question for the automake list, since...

Below are my configurations

configure:ac

    AC_INIT([hello], [0.01]])
    AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([hello.s])
    AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h])
    AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([build-aux])

    AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror])
    AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
    AM_PROG_AS

...AM_PROG_AS is an automake macro, and...

    AC_OUTPUT

Makefile.am

bin_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.s
AM_CCAS = /usr/bin/as
AM_CCASFLAGS = --gstabs+

...AM_CCAS is a variable for use by automake, not autoconf.

[ashok@mydevel foobar]$ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ashok/practice/ia32/myasm/autotools/foobar'
gcc  -g -O2   -o hello hello.o

According to the automake manual, AM_CCAS sets $CCAS to a default of $CC unless you define it to something else. However, I have no idea why $AM_CCASFLAGS doesn't seem to be honored in this line; you'll have to ask the automake developers for help in debugging it.

How do i override to use /usr/bin/as instead of gcc and pass -gstabs+
flag to /usr/bin/as.

The easiest way there, per documentation (although I have not tested), is to run './configure CCAS=/usr/bin/as' to force configure to use your choice of assembler in place of the default (since the automake documentation said the default would be $CC which is typically gcc on a GNU/Linux system).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266