On Fri, 15 Jun 2018, Anmol Mishra wrote:

https://pastebin.com/gDiMCEpC

https://github.com/Shopify/pyoozie/blob/master/Makefile

What actually is my_cmd.python.2 and my_cmd.python.3 really do.
In these, What actually is happening in these lines?

  1. python_version_full := $(wordlist 2,4,$(subst ., ,$(shell python
  --version 2>&1)))
  2. python_version_major := $(word 1,${python_version_full}

This is GNU make specific syntax (not portable) and so you should consult the GNU make manual.

As a quick check you can add something this at the bottom of the Makefile to see what these variables end up being defined to:

test_vars:
        echo $(python_version_full)
        echo $(python_version_major)

and then do