On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>    cat << EOT >> config.h
>>      typedef unsigned char byte;
>>      typedef unsigned short word16;
>>      typedef unsigned int word32;
>>    EOT
>
> You’re reinventing C99’s stdint.h here.  Unless you still must build on C89
> or older compilers, you should just switch.
>
> I get supporting old compilers — I often need to support C++ compilers 10
> years old or more — but C89 should be safe to drop in most projects by now.

Yeah, we changed minimum requirements to C++03 recently (from C++98).
The problem is we risk breaking user code, especially on Windows
platforms where <stdint.h> or <cstdint> did not arrive until about
2010.

Breaking user code means mailing list questions and bug reports. I
prefer a silent and dark cockpits so I think its best to leave the
cruft.

Jeff