Hi

I was just wondering what the thoughts (maybe plans) are for making autofs/nfs
more dynamic in the new world of dynamic networking with the likes of Network
Manager now being the default.

We now have quite a few users with linux laptops and they want to see the
standard automounts on these. But being laptops they frequently switch subnet,
jump on WiFi and VPN etc.

Most subsystems seem to play pretty well with this dynamic network environment
and are hooked into NM (with SSSD doing a good job with off net credentials and
directory services caching)

Now I know that autofs/nfs is a much harder nut to crack given its heavy in
kernel component, but I'd have thought the present non-dynamic behaviour is a
bit of an anomaly.

Our present workaround is to hook a script into NM that detects when on or off
lan. If going on lan to off, it will stop the autofs. If still mounts present
when stopped, it will forcibly umount them. Pretty ugly, but better for the
system than lots of dead mounts, which breaks lots of things (and doesn't
recover if connecting to a new lan IP). Going off to on lan and starting autofs
seems to recover and  see the automounts fine (despite the previous brutality
to the mount points we performed).

We of course override the automounted home dir for the laptop owner. But they
can still get to their network one via the automount when on lan. And other
users can ssh into the back of these laptops (should that be necessary) and get
their automounted homedir as any other machine would.

Any thoughts on this (maybe the talk of integrating automounts into sssd will
change things)? Or can autofs (by option maybe) be forced to clear its mounts
forcibly on being stopped.

I guess what I'm talking about isn't a common case but providing a consistent
to office based systems for laptop users is very attractive for us.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Colin

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If
you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete the original.