<SNIP>
> #####[root@ln0 ~]# cat /etc/auto.work
> * -rw,soft,intr,proto=udp ibworkserver:/home/&

<SNIP>

My experience says try changing the soft to hard.
i.e.
* -rw,hard,intr,proto=udp ibworkserver:/home/&

hard,intr gives, in my opinion, a reasonable balance between the 'lock
the program up' of hard and 'give random unexplainable (an often silent)
errors when nfs drops a couple of packets' of soft.
I suggest also reading the soft entry in `man nfs`.