Hugh Sasse wrote:
> autogen-5.8.8 on solaris 9 fails most of its tests, even with the latest
> guile (1.8.1).  I could not build it with guil-1.6.7, the previous stable
> guile.  Here is the output from
>  configure && [gmake output elided] && gmake check
>
> Is there anything else that I should tell you to help diagnose this?

Nope.  There was enough info:

> + : === Running argument.test for argument using /bin/tcsh ===

Any and all derivatives of the "csh" shell are virtually unusable
as anything other than an interactive shell.  It is very difficult
to cope with the 25 year old /bin/sh on Solaris, but I think I've
managed that, so this:

   SHELL=/bin/sh gmake check

should work, but better is to use ksh:

   SHELL=/usr/xpg4/bin/sh gmake check

I will go spend some time figuring out how to ensure that the configure
shell is used for running tests.  Thanks - Bruce