On 2/1/07, Bruce Korb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anything you pick is going to have some grunge.  Here's some uglitude for you:
>
> > #shell
> >
> > cd plugins
> > egrep -v '^#include' plugin_opts.def
> > list=`egrep '^#include' plugin_opts.def | awk '{print $2}'`
> > for f in $list ; do cat $f ; done
> >
> > #endshell
>
> and, of course, loose the "#include plugins/plugin_opts.def" line.

I was going to go with this method at first, but my source tree is
more complicated then I let on in my earlier email.  The plugins are
actually part of a library and my apps link to that.  When the
application opts.def files start including the library opts.def file
all the paths break.  I'm sure I could make it work, but just not
worth it.

> Alternatively, your make rule can:
>
> > dlist=`find plugins -type f -name '*opts.def' | \
> >    while read d ; do echo \`dirname $d\` ; done | \
> >    sort -u`
> >
> > autogen `for d in $dlist ; do echo -L $d ; done` program_opts.def

This is basically what I ended up doing.  Ugly yes.  Hack yes.  Working yes.

> They're both fighting hard for their hack level.  I consider it a
> design bug.  It should have been treated like ``#include "foo.h"''
> instead of ``#include <bar.h>''.  I'm under day job pressure, so
> it may be a little time.  (If you're excited enough to take a gander,
> tpLoad.c contains findFile().  Perhaps give it another argument like,
> "referring file name" that can be used in some reasonable way.  The
> INCLUDE template macro would need to pass in a referring file also.)
>
> What would the rules be?  Obviously, a leading '/' implies a full
> path.  Also, a leading '$' implies an environment variable (or
> program directory name for "$$/" prefix).  Either of these disallow
> directory search lists.  Should "./" be special?  e.g. only use the
> referring file name or getcwd() if there is no referring file?

If I had the time I would.  Alas, I haven't worked on my own project
in over two months as it is.

> Cheers - Bruce
>
> BTW, after adding a comment about you having the email problem,
> I found this in my in basket.  It looks like you got through and
> got a bounce message to boot.  Not real swift.

Just curious... Am I the only one with this problem or are others
seeing it too?  I've seen Earnie's problem more then once with various
SF mailing lists and I agree it's annoying.  For those of you not sure
what's I'm talking about- when I post to the autogen-users list, I get
an email back saying I'm not subscribed and that I need to subscribe
in order to post.  However, I am subscribed and my email actually goes
though.  This has been going on for months, although I'm hardly an big
poster on this list.

Anyways, thanks for the tips Bruce.

--
Aaron Turner