Hi Harlan, et al.,

I have a need for doing controlled edits of complicated config files.
AutoOpts reads and processes them, but it did not write everything back out.
The hierarchical values (e.g. XML-ish values) were a bother I didn't do it.
Now I have.  There is still work that needs doing, but the first prototype
is mostly there.  Feedback and suggestions gladly accepted.  Here is
a crude example, extracted from a test case:

$ ./nested -s 'stumble, foo, <bar type=integer>1234</bar>, able' \
three</gr>' \
   '->'
$ cat nested.d/nested.cfg
#  test_nested - Test AutoOpts for nested
#  preset/initialization file
#  ***DATE***
#
<struct>
  <able/>
  <bar type="integer">0x4D2</bar>
  <foo/>
  <stumble/>
</struct>
<struct>
  <bar type="integer">0x10E1</bar>
  <foo/>
  <gr>
    <one/>
    <three/>
    <two>2</two>
  </gr>
</struct>

The remaining task is to devise a way for specifying which entries to remove.

http://autogen.sourceforge.net/autogen-5.9.6pre2.tar.gz

Cheers - Bruce

P.S. the intent here is for an auxiliary program to do the editing for a
daemon's
configuration file.  The editing program would look something like this:

int
main(int argc, char ** argv)
{
    int ct = optionProcess(&daemonOptions, argc, argv);
    optionSaveFile(&daemonOptions);
    kill(atoi(argv[ct]), SIGHUP);
    return 0;
}

The option/config state is only saved if optionProcess is happy and returns.