Thanks Brian and Bruce for the info. Watch out with guile 1.8; I have a bit
of difficulty figuring out exactly what cygwin setup did, but it *appears*
that the 1.8 cygwin distribution omits guile-config, upon which autogen
make relies.
Thanks again for the help,
Best Regards, Dave

At 01:28 PM 11/22/2008, Bruce Korb wrote:
>Hi Brian,
>
>Thank you for the explanation.  I'll quiet down that warning stuff for the
>shipped autogen.  I was wanting to make the code as excruciatingly
>clean as I could.
>
>On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Brian Dessent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dave Nadler wrote:
> >
> >> - decipher the build complaint below and suggest what I've screwed up, or
> >
> > The problem is that CFLAGS contains -Werror which turns any minor
> > warning into a fatal error that stops the build.
>
> > The only portable way
> > to use uint32_t with printf is by using the corresponding format
> > specifier define from inttypes.h, i.e.
> >
> >  fprintf( stderr, "Cannot malloc %"PRIu32" bytes\n", colCt + 1 );
> >
> > This of course has its own set of portability issues since inttypes.h
> > isn't available everywhere.  Perhaps a better option would be to use
> > size_t and %zu.
>
>Or apply a cast to all integer type arguments?  Holy moly, what a lot
>of pain just to print a number....
>
>Grumble, grumble.  Thank you.  :)
>
> > These is good example of why it's a bad idea to ship software with
> > -Werror enabled by default.  It might be helpful for the developer of
> > the package to have it enabled but it is certainly unhelpful to the end
> > user who is just trying to use the software.  For this reason it's
> > traditional to have a --{en,dis}able-werror configure option that allows
> > for the end-user to override the package, however it seems that autogen
> > does not share this philosophy but instead forces -Werror.  Ouch.
>
>Naw, the developer just didn't fully appreciate all the twisty little issues
>one might bump into.  Please note:  this isn't my day job.  One company
>did send me a copy of VM Ware as a token of appreciation.  But this
>doesn't put any food on my table.
>
> >  This
> > is a new development, so I'd say one workaround would be to simply use
> > an older version.  5.9.5 should be fine.  You could also edit
> > configure.in and regenerate configure.
>
>I'm out of town for the next week. I'll change the warning thing and
>repackage a 5.9.7 in early December.  If there are any more issues,
>please email 'em.  :)
>
> > The problem with getting autogen working with Cygwin lies in libguile.
> > The binary version provided by the distro was built with an incompatible
> > version of gcc and so autogen built against it segfaults at startup.
> > It's been reported multiple times but the guile maintainer is still in
> > denial that a problem exists.  So, you need to build guile yourself from
> > source.
>
>On UNIX platforms, that's been pretty easy, since they moved from 1.4 to 1.6.
>They're on 1.8 now.
>
>Again, thank you, Brian, for your feedback.  -Werror will be gone next
>time.  Sorry.
>
>Regards, Bruce

Dave Nadler, USA East Coast voice (978) 263-0097,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]