Bruce, thank you so much!

From: Bruce Korb [bruce.k...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:57 PM
To: Geof Sawaya
Cc: davehart_gmail_exchange_...@davehart.net; autogen-us...@lists.sf.net
Subject: Re: [Autogen-users] FW: problem with auto-opts definition element . . .

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Geof Sawaya <geof.saw...@utah.edu> wrote:
> Bruce, thanks for your response.
>
>>The stuff is *SUPPOSED* to be linked with -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib and that is
>>*SUPPOSED* to force ldd to show /usr/local/lib/libopts.so.33 ahead of
>>anything else in the /etc/ld.so.conf file.  It has never been effective enough
>
> Bruce, I'm not seeing libopts.so.33 anywhere -- just 25.

Transcription problem.  Dunno where I got "33" :)

> Also, in my 'make' output, there isn't any '-Wl,-R/usr/local/lib' . . .
>
> (this is autogen 5.11.6)

Now I remember:  It is what *I* think libtool should do, but there must be
problems because libtoolers don't want to:
Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag <<<<=====
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
so the /etc/ld.so.conf fiddling is required.  (Don't forget to run ldconfig.)