Hi Andreas,

Thank you for looking into it so deeply.  This has been broken for at
least 8 years.
My recent change brought it to the fore.  That ldflags computation
looks like something
someone else suggested, for use in autoopts-config.

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Andreas Metzler
<ametz...@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
> AG_LDFLAGS is set to "-Wl,-R" by AG_TEST_LDFLAGS. This is not new,
> however autoopts/test/defs.in has changed, it previously overwrote the
> value of AG_LDFLAGS as passed by ./configure/automake but uses the
> value now.

The correct thing for defs.in is to use it, but the value must be correct.
AG_TEST_LDFLAGS will now emit '-Wl,-R${libdir}' as its result, when
'-Wl,-R' should be used at all.  My config.status now has this line:

> S["AG_LDFLAGS"]="-Wl,-R${libdir}"

Thank you for the bug report.

Regards, Bruce

http://autogen.sourceforge.net/data/autogen-5.16.1pre2.tar.xz