Hello,

I just discovered (id est, received) autogen and autoopts in the GNU Announcements mailing list. It seems to be a very nice project.

I would like to have easier steps to choose config options for used programs, since some of them eventually become critical or having frequent use.

I really wanted to see a working concept. But I have not reached or found this. What seems to be aimed at that idea is the "quick start guide", pointed in

https://www.gnu.org/software/autogen/autoopts.html

and located here

https://www.gnu.org/software/autogen/manual/html_node/Quick-Start.html#Quick-Start

I want all these (currently) 6 pages in a single HTML page - an option I have seen in many other GNU projects' documentation.

I would also like to have the option to read in a single page other parts of things we browse in https://www.gnu.org/software/autogen/ . Clicking the links, using back and forward browsers option, even with keyboard shortcuts, is not so good - in my opinion, needs and habits or reading things.

Now, the second part of this message.

Is autoopts a good choice for parts of bashrc? I like Bash very much, except for its history serious bug - or, at least, lack of related options I can understand and use. As years go passing, my bashrc became rather big and fairly complex. Some things are not actually options, of course (shell functions, for example), but most of what I have in Bash are options of subsets of a complex and hard to find documentation big set (like things we may use in PS1). I have similar bashrcs in different computers, but without known or controlled differences or adjustments.

Is autoopts a good option for having a base bashrc for all of them? A "base bashrc" that I would keep as the central part of all bashrcs I have around - and potentially will be the best and updated starting point for a new bashrc, for a new computer I start using. And may also be an easier path to safely update all my bashrcs with something new I just created in one computer, but makes sense to have it in all the Bashrcs (or, at least, most of them).

Regards

(if I have to subscribe to this list to received the answers, I expect to receive a message about the needed actions - or you may please "answer to all" when replying to this message in the list, so my address is kept in "to" or "cc" in all messages of this discussion)