(Sorry for the late follow-up on this. I've been moving and changing
jobs.)

On 15 Jun 2000, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2000, "Braden N. McDaniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > automake: src/Makefile.am: `libjs.la' is already going to be installed in
> > `noinst'
>
> This is a limitation of automake.
>
> The solution I've been using is like this:
>
> EXTRA_LTLIBRARIES = libjs.la
> lib_LTLIBRARIES = @lib_LIBJS@
> noinst_LTLIBRARIES = @noinst_LIBJS@
> libjs_la_LDFLAGS = @LDFLAGS@ @LDFLAGS_LIBJS@
>
> Then, configure would set and AC_SUBST lib_LIBJS, noinst_LIBJS and
> LDFLAGS_LIBJS as appropriate.  In particular, in the case of
> installing the library, you must add the -rpath switch to
> LDFLAGS_LIBJS.  I believe that's the main reason why automake doesn't
> support conditional installation of ltlibraries.

That, more or less, is what I've got now. I guess it's what I'll be
sticking with.

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Is there something we can do to make this easier for the user?

It does seem like there ought to be, doesn't it? The rpath flag should be
predictable, shouldn't it? "-rpath $(libdir)"? In that case, the real
problem here is that having lib_LTLIBRARIES and noinst_LTLIBRARIES the
same would make the *LDFLAGS variable ambiguous. One option might be to
incorporate the installation target into the LDFLAGS variable name (i.e.,
"libjs_la_lib_LDFLAGS" and "libjs_la_noinst_LDFLAGS"). Though that seems
heavy-handed, and probably impractical...

--
Braden N. McDaniel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]