Kevin> If AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR is not used, and version.texi is in a doc
Kevin> directory, than "automake -a" installs mdate-sh in top_srcdir,
Kevin> but the Makefile.in in the doc directory tries to use mdate-sh
Kevin> in srcdir, which mdate-sh does not exist.

I wrote a test for this, but according to the test the right thing
already happens.

I'm checking in the test.  It is `mdate4.test'.

If you can tell me how to modify it to reproduce the bug, I'd be happy
to fix the problem.  But as it stands now I can't see it.

Tom