I am using Automake 1.8 with libtool.  Automake is doing a good job at
building libraries in a correct order based on dependencies (or I
could just be lucky) but 'make install' is not paying any attention to
library dependencies.  It appears that libraries are installed in the
same order as specified by lib_LTLIBRARIES.  If the ordering of
lib_LTLIBRARIES does not jive with the library dependency order, then
libtool fails to re-link the library because some libraries it depends
are not installed yet.  Even worse, it may appear that installation is
successful, but some of the libraries are accidentally linked with
older versions of the libraries which were already installed.

It seems to me that Automake should compute an optimum library
installation order based on the specified libtool library (.la)
dependencies.  This would help ensure that installation errors do not
occur due to some hap-hazard lib_LTLIBRARIES list order (e.g. they
could be in alphabetical order).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]