Hi Harald,

* Harald Dunkel wrote on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 06:02:09PM CEST:

> Would it be possible to rely upon $(VPATH) in depend2.am?
> Instead of
>
>       `test -f '%SOURCE%' || echo '$(srcdir)/'`%SOURCE%
>
> something like this could work, too (not verified yet):
>
>       `test -f '%SOURCE%' || (VPATH=$(VPATH); test "$$VPATH" ||
> VPATH=$(srcdir); for i in \`IFS=:; set $$VPATH; unset IFS; echo "$$@"\`; do
> test -f $$i/'%SOURCE%' && echo $$i/ && break; done)`'%SOURCE%'
>
> This would be a big improvement for supporting dependencies.
> Currently I have to configure using --disable-dependency-tracking
> to make VPATH work.

Not that I believe that I could help you, but I can try to make life
easier for those who can:

Could you please be more specific?  As in:

What exactly does not work for you?  In what circumstances?  On which
system, which `make', which automake version, where's the reproducible
example, which part of depend2.am are you actually talking about?  Have
you studied the Autoconf manual section about portability yet?

C'mon Harald, this isn't your first bug report.

Cheers,
Ralf