Since LZIP support has appeared apparently out of the blue (no prior discussion on this list), and Automake already had LZMA support, can someone please explain LZIP vs LZMA and why we now have at least two LZMA compressed targets? Is offering support for two LZMA compressors encouraging the continued babbelization and subsequent disintegration of GNU projects?

I see that LZIP is GPL licensed and is pretty small, and with just one author. It also seems that LZIP is not capable of decoding LZMA utils output.

If automake now supports 'lzip', why does it not also offer to support 7-Zip', 'srpm', 'zoo', 'arc', and the many other possible archiving formats so that confusion of the user base can become complete?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/