On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

Currently Automake does not seem to allow disabling gzip support.

no-dist-gzip? What I was saying: you do not have to run make dist.

If that works, then I was unaware of it.

Initially there would be a warning, and after a couple of years,

Woha, that's long. I take the freedom to usually do it within two
releases.

Many major OS distributions seem to be on a two-year cycle. An existing current distribution should not require continual maintenance to keep it its bits from rotting.

Now how many Windows users can actually run shell scripts (as
produced by autotools) out of the blue, without having, uh, a shell
(from cygwin or msys). Once they however have such a unix layer, they
also have tar and gzip at least.

Even though Automake builds the distribution package, most of my Windows users use means other than shell scripts to download, extract, and build the package. The most they know about Unix is perhaps how to spell it.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/