On Sun, 2023-01-08 at 04:31 -0800, Dan Mahoney wrote:
> Hello,

Hey Dan,

> I’m one of the maintainers of OpenDKIM, dealing with an interesting
> program where make -j is breaking some of our test programs.
> Specifically, we have tests that *must* run first to generate keys,
> and *must* run last to do cleanup tasks.
>
> Is there an easy way with automake to force this?
>
> Our Makefile.am:
> https://github.com/trusteddomainproject/OpenDKIM/blob/develop/libopendkim/tests/Makefile.am#L20

Indeed there is. What you are looking for, if I understand correctly,
is what's called partial ordering constraints. This is done by
explicitly declaring make prerequisites between the log files generated
by each unit test. What you want to do is see § 15.2.3 of Automake:

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Parallel-Test-Harness.html

Scroll down and see the paragraph "In order to guarantee an ordering
between tests...".

Hope that is helpful.

Yours truly,

--