On 17. 07. 23 0:55, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Given

        a_SOURCES = aprog/main.c aprog/foo.c aprog/bar.c aprog/baz.c ...

The more source files there are to be listed, the longer that line gets,
the bigger the Makefile.am fragment becomes, etc. I am thinking about
how to cut that repetition down. Current automake likely won't have
anything in store already, so I'm thinking of editing automake and
targeting a future automake release.

The syntax would need to be understood by automake and expanded at the
right time; Makefile.in should have the expanded list already. How
about recognizing the gmake function syntax?

a_SOURCES = $(addprefix aprog/,main.c foo.c bar.c baz.c)

You can use the %D% placeholder for the directory of the Makefile.am relative to the source directory. I can't find where I found out about it but it works. E.g., https://github.com/log4cplus/log4cplus/blob/master/src/Makefile.am. You can also generate the Makefile.am from a template using AutoGen to make things even easier.

--
VH