As Wiebe Cazemier wrote:

> It is kind of unclear (to me) whether the new Atmel-ICE debugger
> ([2]) is supported by AvaRICE or not.

Unfortunately not (not yet).

> I would get a JTAGICE3
> instead, but it's no longer available. Plus, there is some concern
> ([1]) that Atmel is going to release a firmware upgrade for the
> JTAGICE3, rendering it unusable with AvaRICE?

Yes, that's the case.  The firmware Atmel Studio pushes onto it gets
at JTAGICE3 very close to the way the Atmel-ICE works, i.e.  they
changed the product ID, and implemented a completely different
protocol (based on HID - everything in Windows is a "human interface",
isn't it?).

It's not that it's completely out of the question to implement the
stuff needed.  After all, the higher-level protocol is not that much
different from what the JTAGICE3 is using.  It's the low-level
transport that makes it different.

I did implement the Atmel-ICE support in AVRDUDE, but I'm not very
happy with the way I did it.  It works under FreeBSD, it mostly
works under Linux, it has a hard time working under Windows or OSX
though.  The better way to do it were to base it on libhidapi (rather
than libusb), as OpenOCD does.

My idea was to first switch AVRDUDE to make it use libhidapi, and
thus avoid doing the work twice in AVaRICE.  Alas, that idea has
been sitting around in my head for one and a half year now, without
finding a sufficiently large enough timeslot to actually materialize.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/