> As some may have seen already, Avogadro 2 has a Van der Waals spheres display
> type with Ambient Occlusion. However, this is not nicely integrated with the
> overall rendering code and this mail contains information on how I plan to
> integrate this. I'm currently moving so I plan to start working on this in
> january.

This would be really great. Clearly the ambient occlusion support that's
already in there is very helpful with larger systems.

> Moving this code to the GLRenderer class should not be difficult. However,
> for ambient occlusion to work on all geometry we would need UV texture
> mapping for meshes. For protein and nucleic acid meshes this could easily be
> generated together with the mesh but I don't have a solution yet for handling
> surface meshes resulting from the marching cubes algorithm.

What's the technical problem? Is it handling the transparency? I mean, I would
think at mesh generation time for surfaces, you could also generate texture
mapping in the same way as protein and nucleic acid ribbons/cartoons.

Or do you mean the problem is for general surfaces that have a mapped color
scheme (e.g. electrostatic potential, which is already a texture on the
surface).

Thanks,
-Geoff